I often find myself questioning what the future holds for the younger generation in Buena Esperanza. Most don't speak the indigenous language. None of them wear the traditional dress, and it seems that some of the "jungle" knowledge is not being passed on.
The kids are in close proximity to the "outside" world. And the impact the western influence can have on a community is really a whole other story, maybe for another time.
I know that the kids are not going to go from playing with soda bottle caps to playing a Playstation overnight, But I do think that their future reality is going to be significantly different than that of their parents and grandparents. Even more so if the government continues with the construction of the road out to the end of my peninsula (also another story for another time).
So, what I am trying to get at is that it brightens my day a little when I see the children embracing their culture, their land, their heritage etc. I always try to make it a point to support and encourage them.
Below is short video clip of my most recent interaction with a little one, embracing and adapting to her natural environment, all on her own.
Note on video: This was very early one morning. I was out for a hike in the finca. I was not close to any homes. I was walking at a brisk pace with my gaze focused down to avoid tripping hazards. Then I hear a little voice, “Buenas dias Meti,” that stopped me right in my tracks. I spun at least five full 360’s before realizing where that little voice was coming from.
Peace from the land of plenty,
Meti
awesome =)
ReplyDeleteLovely, Michelle. That road and all that its completion portends certainly poses hazards to the future of your little community. Sadly, there's no stopping "progress," is there?
ReplyDeleteWhat a beautifull moment in your life.
ReplyDeleteT
I'd say that is culture at its finest!
ReplyDeleteHow cute is that? Glad you caught this special moment on film. She will never forget how to do that and hopefully she will pass it on to her children.
ReplyDeleteI love you and miss you my precious girl.
Mom
Be Safe