Buenas,
So site announcement on Wednesday was defiantly the highlight of this week. I am supper stoked about my site. All of you who are thinking about visiting, start planning you trips!!!! There is an airport on Isla Colon (Bocus Island).
There are 10 other trainees who will be going to the Province of Bocus del Toro, and there are currently 21 volunteers already in site there. Some things I have heard from current volunteers about volunteer life in Bocus:
- All the volunteers grow really close because they are so far away from the other volunteers in Panama.
- Cost of living is a bit higher because it is a tourist area so volunteers tend to have to dip into their savings…..…haha, guess I better start saving = /
- It rains the most in this provenience, last year Peace Corps had to evacuate everyone from their sites for 2 weeks due to flooding.
- Very rich in biodiversity, one can still encounter jaguars, tapirs, conejo pintados, sloths, toucans, boa constrictors and several varieties of brightly colored poison dart frogs. These animals are rare to find in Panama because they have all been eaten =( In the water there are Manatees, sea turtles and in the bay I am located at there are MANY dolphins. They say that this is a great place for diving!!!
- Bocus was isolated from the rest of Panama by mountains and think rainforest until 1996!!! Thus, they are very unique in their mix of culture and ethnicities.
- And a final quote from my regional director in Bocus “you are a member of a very select group- only the strongest wills can thrive in this province. The weak have historically all terminated their Peace Corps service early.”
I mentioned in the last post about being in an indigionious community. Let me take a step back and give you a little information about the land layout of Panama. Basically, Panama is split into 12 different sections, physically I mean… so if you look at a map you will see 12 different colors. 7 of these are provinces (like Bocus Del Toro). The Latinos live in the provinces. The other 5 sections of the country are Comarcas. I think the best way to discribe a comarca is to compare them reservations (but a lot bigger) that the Native Americans have in the states. So the 5 comarcas are the land for 7 different indigiounes communities (Ngäbe, Bugle,Kuna, Embera, Woonan, Naso and Bri-Bri) However, some indigionious people have formed other small communities outside of their comarcas, usually on an island or someplace closer to the water. My village is an example of this. So the indigionous group I will be working/living with for 2 years are Ngäbe. And if you are wondering if they each have their own languages, the answer is yes, but most of them will speak Spanish also.
That brings me to the explanation for the title of my blog. Thursday everyone who found out they were going to an indigenous site had to start talking different language classes. So I started learning Ngäbere!!! There was a point in during this language class that I just had to stop and reflect on what exactly was going on….. I was being taught an indigenous language, that is not written and only a few thousand people in the world know, in ANOTHER language that I hardly even speak….. wow.
We all had interviews last week to make sure our Spanish is improving. When I was tested 5 weeks ago, I was at a novice medium level, and now I am at and intermediate medium level. I can now speak in 6 different tenses, It is not to pretty though…. So, I have the option to either continue with Nabere classes or stick with Spanish. I am definitely going to stick with Spanish for the rest of training and then possible start learning more Ngäbere once I get into site.
Moving on….
Friday morning our whole training group had to do a presentation for the community of Santa Clara. It lasted about 3 hours, and the whole thing was in Spanish. I had to present on the economy in Santa Clara. In the afternoon, we got in groups with our spainish classes and each cooked a traditional Panamanian dish. My group cook Lentil soup (yummy) then we all go
Here is a picture of me in it =)
On a different note, my host mom has been really sick for about a week. She has the dengue virus which is contracted from a “daytime” mosquito. Without going into much detail, I will just say that this is one sickness that I would never wish upon my worst enemy. It breaks my heart to see her suffer and for her daughters to have to see here like that. It is a constant reminder of how lucky I am (and all you are) to have access to good health care.
I am leaving today for two weeks of "travel training" in Panama. The first week is called “culture week.” All 36 trainees are split up depending on what region of the country your site is. Ironically, culture week for the Bocus Del Toro group is going be held at the same place I went for my site visit 2 weeks ago. We will be living with host families in the community and our days will be jam packed with different cultural presentations. After a week here, we will travel into the Commarca Ngäbe-Bugle. Here we will meet up with the rest of the CED group for what is called “Tech week.” This is where we will get a chance to put into practice all the skills we have been learning during training. Then it is back to Santa Clara.
I will be able to get online at least once within the next 2 weeks, but I will most likely not be updating my blog until I get back to Santa Clara.
Also, I made a big purchase this week and bought a cell phone. I have put my number on facebook, but if you don’t have access to that and would like my number just shoot me an e-mail or ask my mom or pop. If you get an international calling card, it should be pretty easy to call me for only about 5-10 cents a minute.
I hope you were all able to view some of my pictures. I have kinda become the designated photographer for the group and Picasa is the way I will be sharing my pictures with you guys at home as well as the other volunteers here in panama. So if you are wondering why I put up so many pictures of the same thing, it is so that the if the volunteer wants a certain picture they are able to choose which one they like best. I have also made 2 videos since I have been here, but I have yet to find a computer that will allow me to upload them. I should have said this a long time ago, but a special thank you to everyone how helped me get my “dream camera” I still have a lot to learn about it, but I am very happy with my purchase and excited I will be able to capture these next 2 years.
And here are a few more links
http://picasaweb.google.com/maguilar317/CultureDay?feat=directlink This is from culture day
and this is from my site visit, the same place I am going back to this week http://picasaweb.google.com/maguilar317/SiteVisit?feat=directlink
Ok, so for all of you who told me not to make my entries shorter….there you are =)
Paz
~Michelle
Well my little Miche, they sure aren't throwing puff balls at you. This is all getting very real. I have faith in you and know that you have the grit that it takes.
ReplyDeleteRemember to keep a good journal!
We love you,
T
Hi Sweetie,
ReplyDeleteWhat a life experience you are having!!! They are so lucky to have YOU. You look darling in your Nagua...I want one.
We'll talk soon.
I love you and miss you even more.
Mom
Be Safe