Today was the day!!!!!
I found out where I will be living for the next 2 years of my life and I couldn't be happier.
Here are the details....
Proviece: Bocus Del Toro
Village Name: Buena Esperanza (idiginous Ngabe community)
Population: 290 people
Possible work: Working with a women's artesanry group, helping them with basic business practices and marketing towards the tourist in Bocus island (isla Colon). They also have expressed interest in taking advantage of their location by making something for the tourist to take advantage of, such as a local restaurant or a "parking spot" for tourist yachts. They also want to learn some basic English to communicate with tourists and want to form some sort of youth group. (lots of work!!!!)
Previous Volunteer? : No, I will be the first
Other Details: No electricity, no running water (except for some rain catching systems), no latrines, and I will have to build my own house....
I am on a peninsula that sticks out into the Caribbean ocean. I have to take two boats to get to my site. I am only about a 30 min boat ride away from Isla Colon, which is a large tourist town. This is where I will have to do my grocery shopping, use Internet, and go to the health center when need be.
There are lots of other volunteers that will be relatively close.
I am leaving on Saturday for "culture week" in Bocus but I will not be able to go to my site until week 8 of training, so 4 more weeks.
I will add more to the blog soon..... time to go celebrate with all the other trainees!!!!!
Miss you all
Also check out this site for some pictures from Santa Clara http://picasaweb.google.es/maguilar317/SantaClara?feat=directlink and here are some pictres from Panama City http://picasaweb.google.es/maguilar317/Panama?feat=directlink and here are some pictures of when I was in DC, which seem like forever ago http://picasaweb.google.es/maguilar317/DC?feat=directlink
Holy smokes Michelle! That's so exciting! I can't wait to see pictures of this place you're off to! It sounds absolutely amazing.
ReplyDeleteBuild your own house?! How fun! I am super jealous! Are you going to try to make windows? How about a gutter system? Or maybe a chicken coupe! You will most definitely have to take pictures of this process--I can't wait to see!
I'm glad to hear all is going well and I'm sure you're out celebrating with everyone after getting your locations!
Miss you!
When you were a little girl and would always say"I do it myself", I never thought that it would include building your own house.You need Uncle Chip and G Da to come down there, or is it up there? Oh well!
ReplyDeleteGood luck,
T
Wow sweetie! Build your own house?? The work your going to be doing sounds interesting and rewarding. Sounds like I'll be staying at Isla Colon when I come visit.
ReplyDeleteI love you and miss you.
Mom
(Be Safe)
I love your blog. Can't wait for the next post. Sharing your adventure w/Siena.
ReplyDelete