Well, here I am back in Buena Esperanza, “good hope” (Which is exactly what I have returned with) The past 2 weeks sure have been a whirlwind. I still find myself opening my eyes each morning wondering if it has all been a dream.
For those of you that knew my Uncle Tim, know that he would have wanted me to return to Panama ASAP. So that is exactly what I did, even though I am missing out on some serious fresh powder back home. The day after the memorial I was back on a plane and traveled more than 24 hours before making it to my village. Even though we were all brought together by the tragedy of my Uncle’s death, it was wonderful to see all of you and receive your words of encouragement. I also had no idea how many people were actually reading my Blog, so maybe now I need to put a little extra effort into it =)
So let’s get into it…..
- The first point I would like to share with you is some “reverse culture shock” that I experienced during my trip home. Because I was so rushed to get out of B.E and be with my family, it really never even occurred to me that I might experience any sort of reverse culture shock. Oh but it hit me right when I set foot in the Huston Airport. Moving sidewalks? Best Buy vending machines? and flat screen T.V’s everywhere. I found the restaurant directory and B-lined it to the closest Jamba Juice, where I happily indulged in a Caribbean Passion smoothie with a boost of Protein (much needed) and 2 ounces of wheatgrass of course. The total came out to more than $10… OMG did I really use to pay this much for a smoothie? Moving on, I should have know better than to peruse the infamous airport magazine wall, but I had a few hours to kill and of course I was curious on what I had been missing. WOW, talk about information overload. Oprah’s leaving? Britney is married? And Tiger cheated?
My Uncle’s memorial took place in L.A County. Now, I had culture shock visiting Las Angeles even before I joined the Peace Corps! That place is a whole different world.
When I was home, in Tahoe, I stayed in the house most of the time, trying to spare myself of more unforeseen culture shocks. But, even in the house, I found myself using the toilet even when I didn’t need to and being so grateful that each time I turned a facet the life giving substance of water flowed freely and with such force that if I moved my cup for just a second I felt guilty for wasting that bit of water.
And to top of the “reverse culture shock” when I got off the plane in Sacramento, my hippie brother (who I would often have to remind to put deodorant on for the sake of the mankind) greeted me by telling ME that I smelt….. And that was after I had been to the restroom to “freshin up.” Now I feel bad for whoever was sitting next to me on the plane. - So I made it back to my village in time for their Mothers day celebration, which is December 8th. It was so great to see that woman in have a day to themselves. Even though they still had to cook breakfast and dinner, wash clothes, clean the house and watch after all the kids…. The men cooked lunch for them.
When I was in the states I went to Wal-mar (yikes) and printed out all the pictures I had taken of my host family. I put them in a photo Album for my host mom for Mothers Day. As much as the Nagbe people (especially the women) don’t show emotion, I could tell that she was very pleased with her gift. The photos also kept the kids busy the rest of the day, they must have looked through it 100 plus times. - I have moved into my next and last host family host! Now I am living with the school teacher, his wife, mom and three kids (7 less than before) The kids are: 2 boys ages 3 and 7 and one little girl who is 1 1/2 . My first week in this house has been good. The living conditions are pretty much the same except I don’t have a bed and they don’t have a rainwater catchment system so I need to be a lot more careful about the water I am drinking.
I bathe with a bucket and cup still but it is not in the kitchen like before. Now, I walk about 10 min through mud and cow patties to fill up my bucket in the “Pozo” which really is just a muddy hole with water in it (pictures to come.) But I must admit that even though I am bathing with dirty water, there is something really wonderful almost spiritual about showering outside, especially when the palm and banana leaves act as your shower curtain. I can still remember almost 10 years ago when my Uncle Chip showed me his outdoor shower and I thought he was crazy. Turns out he knew what he was talking about (like always). I have made a mental note that wherever I end up living after Peace Corps, an outdoor shower is a necessity. But a shower head, clean water and a drainage system are musts… actually maybe not, we’ll see. - By now my entire community knows that I don’t eat meat right? They still are fascinated by it and it is still often the topic of conversation. The first night in my new host house the “vegetarian conversation” lasted a good hour. Since I am living with one of the most educated people in the community (the teacher) he helped me establish that I don’t eat “any part of anything that was once living.” This was as clear to all, or at least I thought so… The next morning I received nothing more but a fried hotdog for breakfast! All I have to say about this incident is that if these isolated Indians take one look at a hotdog and genuinely think that it is something other than meat, that should tell us something about hotdogs.
- Thursday was my first English class. I had more than 40 people show up. There were so many people that they were lined up outside watching and listening through the window. I began the class with my rendition of Simon Says. It proved to be a good way to give them some vocab without actually having to teach them because they could just follow that I would do. I would say touch your head, touch your feet, touch your knees etc and then repeating and pausing when I usually say the body part to have them fill in the blank. They would laugh so hard each time I told them to touch their butts.
After the Simon says into I taught them the Alphabet , some greetings, numbers and days of the week. I have jumped into teaching English right now because I know that is what the people want and really what they need. However I have absolutely no experience teaching so I would like to welcome any pointers from anyone. The people here are very reserved and I know that it is going to be a challenge to get them to participate in class.
Well, I would like to thank my Grandma T for reminding me and everyone else that attended my Uncles memorial, of the saying “Life will never give you more than you can handle.” Yes, it is unfortunate that “life” has prematurely taken my Uncle Tim, but now we each must “handle” this loss in our own way. For me, I know that the words my uncle wrote in that last e-mail will be running through my head each day I serve as a Peace Corps volunteer, and I am so grateful to have that.
And in case you are not on my uncles Marcus’s e-mail list, here is the link to the amazing slide show he put together for my Uncle Tim. http://vimeo.com/8036951
I would like to thank everyone once again for all of your support and acts of kindness.
And don’t worry about me down here! I am still staying positive and trying my best to stay focused.
I love you all very much!
Miche
Miche, mi corazon!
ReplyDeleteYou stretch and grow with each new blog entry.Your class was in English, not Spanish, but we all figured that out. When we come in March, I will bring you some teaching aids. Can't wait til you move into your own place. That should produce some interesting stories.
Love you,
T
Lots of detail, which we all love to read about, Michelle. It was so good to see you last weekend, but, oh, such a sad, sad time too. Anticipating your further adventures in BE. Naomi
ReplyDeleteThanks my T T, all fixed =)
ReplyDeleteMiche,
ReplyDeleteYou continue to amaze me! I am so lucky to be your mother.
I love you and miss you.
Mom
Be Safe
When I read your blog posts it always becomes one of the highlights of my day. Thank you so much for sharing and I hope you don't mind...I often end up sharing with even more people!
ReplyDeletePS Britney's married?! Is it bad that I get my celeb gossip from your blog?