On Saturday November 28th my Uncle Tim (Moms younger brother) was killed in a car accident in Ripon California where my family was celebrating Thanksgiving.
Within hours of receiving the call from my mom I was on a boat out of my village, and traveled more than 22 hours straight to be reunited with my family.
Below is an E-mail I received from my uncle a few days ago. I wanted to share his words of wisdom with all of you (especially my fellow Peace Corps Volunteers).
Hello Michelle,
You are doing such great things and we are all so proud of you. I have been reading all your blog entries and love all the pictures. From your note below I can tell that sometimes things are frustrating for you. That is totally understandable and more importantly perfectly normal. You are right on to continue to focus on your mission of why you are there. Set some very very small goals for yourself to achieve that are related to you mission so you can get a few "wins" under your belt. Simple things, that you can accomplish in a day or two or a week or so. Write them down, plan what you need to do to complete them, note your progress, then note when task or objective is completed. By doing this you will see the headway you are making and the impact you are having. Long term goals are awesome, but sometimes they can be overwhelming, especially when working by yourself. Set a bunch of small short term goals that, when accomplished, move you closer to your long term goals. Set personal goals, too. You need to do things for yourself to ensure that you are good for everyone else. Be a tiny bit selfish every once in awhile.
You are doing something that very few people have the courage to do. Please know that and know that we all think that you are amazing for choosing to do what you are doing.
Love You, Uncle Tim
The memorial services will be held Saturday in Costa Mesa California. I will most likely travel back to Panama on Sunday.
Michelle, I'm sure I'll see you at Tim's memorial before you read this. I am so glad you posted this letter. I remember Tim (or as I called him, Timbo) mostly as a kid. That funny laugh and great smile. But, it seemed he grew up to be a great man. What a treasure that you have that letter from him and thank you for sharing it with us.
ReplyDeleteSee you soon.
Love, Katie Soukup
Michelle, Thank you for sharing Tim's e-mail. Since we have moved around so much, we haven't been able to visit with Tim as often as we have with the other Watkins cousins. When we have been together, it has been in a large, noisy, loving family group; wonderful but not conducive to heart-to-heart talks. It was great to get a recent glimpse into Tim's caring personality. He gave you the gift of some very valuable advice. Your Uncle Tim will be with you every time you implement the wisdom he passed to you!
ReplyDeleteI wish we could be with the rest of the family on Saturday, but we will keep everyone in our prayers. We'll miss our "Timbo" (the last time I called him that silly nickname, he shook his head and laughed, his blue eyes were shining)and remember him always.
Love, Laura
Michelle, I too thank you for sharing your Uncle Tim's Email. You are fortunate to have gotten such sage and loving advice from him and I know you realize this.
ReplyDeleteI will remember Tim for his infectious and slightly wicked sense of humor. His ability to mimic accents when he told a story or a joke was a rare gift. Those blue eyes someone mentioned above as well as his whole face would light up once he got going. It's a talent he was born with and which brought joy to many of us, and a comforting memory of hin to have.
Love, Naomi
Michelle, our thoughts and prayers are with you and your family. Give me a call when you get back into Panamá.
ReplyDelete- Scott, Haven, Ian & CED Group 64
Miche, my heart!
ReplyDeleteThank you for sharing the wisdom and caring of your Uncle Tim.
I know that you are on you way back to Panama as I write this. Your being with all of us the past few days made things more bearable.
Love you,
T
Michelle- it was great to see you at the memorial. I was so impressed with the stories people told about how Tim had positively influenced their lives. It was a fitting occasion. I'm glad you're returning so quickly. Your work in Panama seems so important, and I know Tim would want you to continue. We look forward to sharing your continued adventures vicariously through your blog posts.
ReplyDeleteDave and Christy Hammer
My Precious Girl,
ReplyDeleteGetting to have you with us for a week was bitter sweet. I am so thankful that you were able to make the trip. I am home now doing my Ujjayi breathing and ready to take one day at a time.
I love you so much.
Mom
Be Safe