Wednesday, November 4, 2009

The One With the First 10 Days in Site

Hello

Other Peace Corps Volunteers have told me that once in site, “the days go by slow and the weeks go by fast.” That has proved to be true with my first 10 days in site!

Run down of a typically day so far:

I wake up around 5:30 am to bathe before the kids wake up. I call it “bathing” because it involves taking a cup and filling it in a large bucket full of rainwater and then pouring it over my head, (whiling standing in the middle of the kitchen), and I would hardly call that a shower… But it does the job.

Around 6:30 am the kids start to wake up, all 10 of them. They start crying one by one until they are all wide wake screaming, crying, and running around the house so it feels as though an earthquake is taking place. I sit outside reading and enjoying the beautiful view of Dolphin Bay, while the kids get ready for school. Breakfast is usually a cup of coffee (or should I say a cup of sugar with some coffee in it), which inevitably ends up split all over my book because the house is so sensitive to motion that when the kids run, you better hang on to everything! After I drink my coffee that I sneak some protein powder into, I head out into the community to get involved in whatever is happening that day.

It did not take me long to realize that a boat or “cayuco” was going to be necessary to get around. It is possible to walk through the main grove, but each time I try, I feel like I am struggling through a competition of gladiator, hanging on to the vines and walking the makeshift bridges that are no bigger than a balance beam, trying not to fall into the dirty water. The Natives, especially the kids can do it with such grace, but on day 2 in site I put my order in for a cayuco!
You might know a cayuco by its other equally common name, a “dug-out-canoe.” From what I have gathered the process of making one of these involves first, waiting for there to be a full moon, then hiking way out in the jungle and searching for the perfect tree (there is certain criteria it needs to meet) then dragging it all the way back and working many hours to hallow it out until it floats. It might be awhile until I actually get it. Let me know it you have any suggestions on a name for my new floating tree.

Moving on… I make sure to return to the house before it starts raining, usually around 2 pm. However, I think my “weather rader” could use some tuning. Let’s just say that there is hardly ever a trinkle before the down poor when it rains here. But at least my host family finds amusement when I show up soaking wet.

For lunch/dinner I usually eat a huge bowl of white rice and either beans or lentils. The rest of the afternoon is filled with studying, reading, playing with the kids and watching the rain. Sometimes in the late after noon there is another meal, then I “ bucket off” and head to bead as the sun goes down.

Some highlights from the past 10 days in site:

• My host sister taught me how to wash my clothes… This involved kneeling literally one inch away from a 10foot drop and hitting my soaking wet/soapy/slippery clothes against a piece of wood as hard as I could. It is obvious that I am a novice. It is a great way to release anger, but I am not sure why they insist on washing their clothes in such a hazardous spot.

• On either side of my village there are “gringos.” I have already had the pleasure of meeting 5 of them. One of them took me to a local Pizza place where I was introduced to MANY other “gringos” that live in the area. The all were very warm and welcoming and may prove to be valuable resources both in my work and personal sanity = )

• I have made my first composting toilet, which for now is really just a composting bucket. I went on a scavenger hunt with some of my host siblings to find the ingredients, I am sure they all think I am crazy, but as much as I want/need to live the way my community lives…. Having a place to go to the bathroom is going to have to be a matter in which we differ. Oh, and while we are on the subject, if you would really like to know… I took a 2 litter Coke bottle and cut it in half, the bottom half serves as my “pee cup” and the top half aids me in the catch and release of the many cockroaches I live with.

• One day I worked with 3 other woman to make over 250 Johnny Cakes in celebration for Independence Day, Nov 3rd. It took us close to 6 hours. It reminded me of making tamales with my family. I have pictures of the whole process that I will try to put up next month some time.

• There was a storm one night that made me feel as though I was in the “Wizard of Oz.” I thought for sure I was going to wake up the next morning and the house was going to be in a distance far away land. There was no way I could sleep because there was water being blown in my room and falling through my mosquito net and drenching me, as if there were no roof at all. And the wind sounded like a train, I could literally here it coming miles away and could do nothing but brace myself. The next morning was pristine, with clam waters and blue skies. It will be a storm I won’t soon forget. Let’s hope that it is not just one of many.

• Nov 3rd, yesterday, was the celebration of Panama’s Independence from Columbia. I celebrated at our local school with all the kids and the “Padres de Familia” which is like the PTA. We ate the Johnny Cakes for breakfast, then the kids did a ceremony where they sang the national anthem and raised the flag. After that one little boy read the history of the Independence, none of which I heard any. After that it was time for the games to begin. The next 4 hours involved games such as; running races, sac races, boat races, two piñatas, and my favourite was the “musical chairs.” The “music” ended up being one of the teachers banging a piece of coconut against another piece of wood, when he stopped all the kids would race for a chair; the kindergartens were the most entertaining. I also have pictures from this I will share ASAP.

Well, after a few short blog entries, I felt like I owed you a longer one! Please forgive some grammar/spelling mistakes as I am working as fast and as best I can in this internet café with a Spanish keyboard. I plan on figuring out a way I can use my own computer again.
Anyway, I will try to update my blog as much as possible. Only time will tell with what regularity I will have internet access.

Love, miss, think and talk about you all often. Friends and family is something that is universally, and everyone in my community loves hearing stories and seeing pictures of you all!

Until next time - Meti

2 comments:

  1. Oh, you brave woman, you! Just try to eat a little more, if you can.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Miche,
    So good to get another update. I feel like I am there with you. Suggestions for your cayuco. Amistad(friendship), sin llantas(no wheels),estanco(water tight),rata de agua(water rat).The last three are from G Da. How about eating some veggies?
    Love you,
    T and Da

    ReplyDelete