Sunday, October 25, 2009

The One Where it is About to get Real


Buenas!!!

Training has come to an end. It definitely had its up and downs but overall I am not sad to see it end, other than the fact that I am going to miss all my new friends!

The past 2 weeks included many long days in the Peace Corps office. We were briefed on more safety topics, had a lot of time to go through the resources library, and spent one morning in the pool learning how to make a flotation device out of our pants….That was definitely a highlight!

On Thursday October 22nd I was officially sworn in as a United States Peace Corps Volunteer. The ceremony took place at the house of the US Ambassador. It was a very nice ceremony, there was a lot of Panamaian press ( I will let you know if we shoe up in the newspaper). We are all very proud of our group, because we are the first group in the past 8 groups that has made it all the way through training without anyone dropping!! Here are a few pictures from the Ceremony. The First Picture on the left is the CED (Community Economic Development) Group. The one on the right is the EH (Environmental Health) group. And the last photo is the US Ambassador in the middle with our Peace Corps Country Director to her right, and a director of a national service orgainization to her left.


The past two nights we spent celebrating for the last time as a group. Now we have all split our separate ways. It was really sad to say goodbye to my friends. We have all become so use to being around each other all the time. Suring the past 10 weeks, we have all grown really close. Because my trip to my site is so long, I am staying tonight in David.

Tomorrow will be the beginning of my new life in Bocas! I have a lot of emotions right now; nervous, anxious, excited etc. Thank you to everyone who has sent me words of encouragement. They are probably going to be more and more helpfully now that I am about to venture out on my own.

I am not sure when the next time I will have an opportunity to update my blog. I am hoping at least once every other week

As Peace Corps says, “Life is calling”……. And I am finally on my way.

~Miche

P.S Sorry the blog is a bit short.... didn;t have much time on the internet =(

And here are some pictures that I took from a friend of mine. They are from all during training. For those of you requesting more pictures of me, you will find some here. But I must say they are not the most flattering of pictures..... Enjoy =)

http://picasaweb.google.com/maguilar317/20091025?feat=directlink


2 comments:

  1. Great photos Meti!!!
    I love the one of you in the Panama hat.
    Of course you are anxious, nervous, etc. What kind of kook would you be if you weren't??
    We are all rooting for you.
    Love, and as always, stay safe,
    T

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hi Sweetie,
    Congratulations and let the helping begin!! Like the song in your Peace Corp video..."Send Me On My Way". Just got back from SLO and I'll be sending your package this week.
    I love you and miss you.
    Mom
    Be Safe

    ReplyDelete