Here is a reminder that Peace Corps is United States government agency, and even though I am down here living in the jungle with the Indians. The decisions made in Washington directly affect me and my community. The following is an email from our Peace Corps Panama Country Director.
___________
Dear Panama PCVs,
As we prepare for the upcoming round of Regional Meetings later this month, I wanted to give you a brief update as to where we stand in our process of growth. It appears that due to the on-going Continuing Resolution and the subsequent budget worries, Peace Corps Headquarters has decided to scale back on growth plans around the world. The Agency will level off at 9,500 Volunteers this year and depending upon whatever budget is eventually passed, the overall numbers may begin to drop once again. The bottom line is that all government agencies are being asked to scale back their growth plans.
How does this affect Panama? With the arrival of Group 67 this month, we will have grown to approximately 220 Volunteers. It appears that this may be our peak number for now. I don’t think we will be able to achieve the 250 to 300 Volunteers that our growth plan contemplated. I hope that we are able to maintain between 200 and 220 Volunteers over the next couple of years. We are continuing with construction of the new office in Ciudad del Saber with a projected March moving date. We also plan to move forward with our Regional Office in David.
The previously mentioned budget issues along with new agency wide project and training initiatives are requiring us to make some tough decisions. In addition to reducing the number of Volunteers we had projected for growth, Peace Corps Headquarters has asked us to immediately begin reducing the number of projects we have in Panama. They want us to drop from our plan of 6 projects (plus Peace Corps Response) to a total of 4 projects and Peace Corps Response. As you know, the Teaching English group arrives next week and we were gearing up to add a 6th project – Youth.
In order to meet these demands, we have decided to halt the implementation of the Youth project. We believe that addressing youth development needs in Panama is vital and it continues to be a priority area for Peace Corps globally. We will therefore be working closely with those Volunteers already working in youth focused assignments to look at ways to incorporate Youth programming in our other projects moving forward. Their work, and their input, will be essential.
We have also decided to phase out our Community Economic Development project. We will not receive a new group of CED Volunteers in 2011. CED will likely be phased out over a 2 to 3 year period, with critical components of the project incorporated into our remaining projects. The CED project has developed excellent materials over the years that have been used here in Panama and all over the Peace Corps world. Current CED PCVs and staff will be working together to build a legacy, worthy of its strong reputation. They will work closely with stakeholders and agency counterparts to sustain the best of CED in their own initiatives.
I know this is difficult news for some to absorb. I would rather not go into further details in this short explanation, but I want to reassure all CED Volunteers that they will continue to be supported by a full team of staff throughout their service. All CED Volunteers will serve under the supervision of APCD, Lisa Andrusyszyn. Lisa Spink will continue as a Programming Specialist for traditional CED PCVs and Johana Castillo will continue as a Programming Specialist supporting the Youth-focused CED PCVs.
I would be happy to discuss the changes at our Regional Meetings later this month. I will be attending most of the meetings and if I am not there, Jenn will be. I’m sure you will have questions and suggestions and we are looking forward to hearing them. Remember that as a U.S. Government Agency, we are dependent upon the Congress to support our efforts. Unfortunately this means that we will go through regular ups and downs as legislators change and economic strength varies.
I ask that you help us look for the positives in all of this and continue to look for ways to make Peace Corps Panama stronger.
I look forward to seeing all of you in a couple of weeks.
Saludos!
Brian
_________
In case you forgot, I am a CED volunteer.
As Brian said, this will not directly affect me and my service. I will still complete my 2 years in the field as planned. Unfortunately, the people this will have the largest impact on are the community members.
I am the first volunteer in my community. If all went accordingly (which obviously it hasn’t) there would be at least 2 or 3 more after me.
Starting with the basics of grassroots development, introducing Peace Corps to my community, and trying to organize them so that when I leave a new volunteer can hit the ground running… that was the plan. Now, when I leave in October, there will be no incoming CED volunteer to take my place.
There are still a few options, including the possibility of placing another volunteer from another sector, or getting a Peace Corps Response volunteer. And of course the office is really encouraging 3rd year extensions...
I am still just going to take each day at a time, and when October gets closer, hopefully we will know what the fate of Peace Corps in Buena Espeanza will be.
___________
Dear Panama PCVs,
As we prepare for the upcoming round of Regional Meetings later this month, I wanted to give you a brief update as to where we stand in our process of growth. It appears that due to the on-going Continuing Resolution and the subsequent budget worries, Peace Corps Headquarters has decided to scale back on growth plans around the world. The Agency will level off at 9,500 Volunteers this year and depending upon whatever budget is eventually passed, the overall numbers may begin to drop once again. The bottom line is that all government agencies are being asked to scale back their growth plans.
How does this affect Panama? With the arrival of Group 67 this month, we will have grown to approximately 220 Volunteers. It appears that this may be our peak number for now. I don’t think we will be able to achieve the 250 to 300 Volunteers that our growth plan contemplated. I hope that we are able to maintain between 200 and 220 Volunteers over the next couple of years. We are continuing with construction of the new office in Ciudad del Saber with a projected March moving date. We also plan to move forward with our Regional Office in David.
The previously mentioned budget issues along with new agency wide project and training initiatives are requiring us to make some tough decisions. In addition to reducing the number of Volunteers we had projected for growth, Peace Corps Headquarters has asked us to immediately begin reducing the number of projects we have in Panama. They want us to drop from our plan of 6 projects (plus Peace Corps Response) to a total of 4 projects and Peace Corps Response. As you know, the Teaching English group arrives next week and we were gearing up to add a 6th project – Youth.
In order to meet these demands, we have decided to halt the implementation of the Youth project. We believe that addressing youth development needs in Panama is vital and it continues to be a priority area for Peace Corps globally. We will therefore be working closely with those Volunteers already working in youth focused assignments to look at ways to incorporate Youth programming in our other projects moving forward. Their work, and their input, will be essential.
We have also decided to phase out our Community Economic Development project. We will not receive a new group of CED Volunteers in 2011. CED will likely be phased out over a 2 to 3 year period, with critical components of the project incorporated into our remaining projects. The CED project has developed excellent materials over the years that have been used here in Panama and all over the Peace Corps world. Current CED PCVs and staff will be working together to build a legacy, worthy of its strong reputation. They will work closely with stakeholders and agency counterparts to sustain the best of CED in their own initiatives.
I know this is difficult news for some to absorb. I would rather not go into further details in this short explanation, but I want to reassure all CED Volunteers that they will continue to be supported by a full team of staff throughout their service. All CED Volunteers will serve under the supervision of APCD, Lisa Andrusyszyn. Lisa Spink will continue as a Programming Specialist for traditional CED PCVs and Johana Castillo will continue as a Programming Specialist supporting the Youth-focused CED PCVs.
I would be happy to discuss the changes at our Regional Meetings later this month. I will be attending most of the meetings and if I am not there, Jenn will be. I’m sure you will have questions and suggestions and we are looking forward to hearing them. Remember that as a U.S. Government Agency, we are dependent upon the Congress to support our efforts. Unfortunately this means that we will go through regular ups and downs as legislators change and economic strength varies.
I ask that you help us look for the positives in all of this and continue to look for ways to make Peace Corps Panama stronger.
I look forward to seeing all of you in a couple of weeks.
Saludos!
Brian
_________
In case you forgot, I am a CED volunteer.
As Brian said, this will not directly affect me and my service. I will still complete my 2 years in the field as planned. Unfortunately, the people this will have the largest impact on are the community members.
I am the first volunteer in my community. If all went accordingly (which obviously it hasn’t) there would be at least 2 or 3 more after me.
Starting with the basics of grassroots development, introducing Peace Corps to my community, and trying to organize them so that when I leave a new volunteer can hit the ground running… that was the plan. Now, when I leave in October, there will be no incoming CED volunteer to take my place.
There are still a few options, including the possibility of placing another volunteer from another sector, or getting a Peace Corps Response volunteer. And of course the office is really encouraging 3rd year extensions...
I am still just going to take each day at a time, and when October gets closer, hopefully we will know what the fate of Peace Corps in Buena Espeanza will be.
A little bummed but staying positive,
Meti
Oh honey.. that's the hardest news. I'll pray for you and the community and I know that whatever decision you are faced with, it will be the best one for you. Love you and miss you.
ReplyDeleteI love you! A very wise women has told me time and time again that everything happens for a reason! Even though the reason is unknown at the moment I know that the role you have there is treasured now and in the future, whatever the outcome. You are loved and are thought of often! Praying for you and your community Miche!
ReplyDeleteYou have been such a positive influence on your community and I only hope that Peace Corps sees the progress that you have made. Keep moving forward with the clean water project as that will be your legacy. I'm so proud of you my precious girl.
ReplyDeleteI love you and miss you.
Mom
Be Safe!
to laugh often and much..to earn the respect of people and the affection of children..to leave the world a better place..to know even one life has breathed easier because you have lived..THIS is to have succeeded..with your heart and your drive I have no doubt that regardless of what happens over there, the people of your community will feel a lasting effect of your service to them..much love and blessings!!!
ReplyDeleteWow--talk about incredibly difficult news. I'm terribly sorry to hear about the budget worries and decreased spending on community economic development. It seems so far away when you hear about it in the news, but when I read about it here it starts to hit much closer to home...ironically, while still being thousands of miles away.
ReplyDeleteI can only imagine the amount of impact you've already had and will continue to have through the fall. I hope that you can continue to think of that...and of the ripples that will carry on in your community after you leave even though someone is not there to take your place.
As you are beginning to realize, the Non Government Organizations are having an impact and are doing things that the government will no longer be able to afford to do. You have options to continue your mission. In the meantime, clean water is a huge accomplishment.
ReplyDeleteLYTTM, T
You've done your best and will continue to do your best, Michelle. The impact you've made on your little community will be remembered. It's just so sad that whenever the government decides to make cuts it's only people who are the most vulnerable that are affected. This has certainly been more of a learning experience for you than you first imagined it would be, hasn't it? Chin up, kiddo.
ReplyDeleteN